CITY OF MARTINSBURG
The City of Martinsburg is accepting applications for the position of Full Time Cashier I-Finance Department. Position requires high school diploma or GED equivalent with specialized course work in general office practices such as accounting, typing and data processing.
The successful candidate would perform clerical and computerized cashier duties, receive and process cash, checks and credit cards as payment forms, make proper change accurately and promptly, sort and open mail, utilize a multi-line switchboard to direct incoming phone calls and address citizen visits concerning City services. Position is responsible for other duties as assigned.
Strong customer service skills are required as well as the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Applicant must be able to work under pressure with frequent interruptions.
The position is a pay grade 7 with a starting wage of $28,500 and includes an excellent benefit package.
Applications are available on the 2nd floor Cashier area at City Hall or online at www.cityofmartinsburg.org. Applications should be directed to the City of Martinsburg, HR Director, 232 N. Queen St., Martinsburg, WV 2540. Deadline for application is no later than Friday, May 4, 2018. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. EEO/AA.
CITY OF MARTINSBURG
FULL TIME PUBLIC WORKS-LABORER-SANITATION
The City of Martinsburg has an immediate opening for a full time Public Works- Laborer-Sanitation Department.
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent required for position. Duties include performing manual labor tasks for various street and sanitation operations. Duties will include, but not be limited to, assisting with waste, recyclable and miscellaneous collections, performing traffic control in City crew work areas, cleaning and maintaining City vehicles.
Position assists mechanics with shop duties, assists in City construction projects including digging drainage ditches, culvert maintenance, concrete work and repair of streets and roads. Duties include cutting grass, trimming and maintaining trees, and assisting in landscaping duties and brush removal. Loading and unloading of heavy material from trucks and/or vans is required.
Employee must be able to meet all physical requirements of the job including the ability to work outside, regularly lift and/or move up to 100 pounds and regularly perform physical labor. Valid driver’s license required for position. $28,500 with excellent benefit package. Application, available at www.cityofmartinsburg.org or at City Hall-2nd floor, must be filed with the HR Director, 232 N. Queen St. Martinsburg, WV 25401, on or before Friday, April 27, 2018. EEO/AA. Women and minorities encouraged to apply.
Brenda Spaulding, Human Resources Director
304-264-2131 ext. 255
Civil Service (Police and Fire)
FIRE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
NOTICE OF TESTING
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION AND
CERTIFIED LIST OF ELIGIBILITY FOR THE
POSITION OF FIREFIGHTER/EMT-BASIC IN
THE MARTINSBURG FIRE DEPARTMENT
Notice is hereby given that the Martinsburg Fire Civil Service Commission is accepting applications to test for the position of Firefighter/EMT-Basic in the Martinsburg Fire Department. The individuals that successfully satisfy all the requirements will remain on a list of eligible candidates for a period of three years in the event an opening does occur.
In order to be placed on the list of eligible candidates, an interested person must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35 at the time of application. (Copy of birth certificate MUST be submitted along with application).
- Secure from the City Recorder’s office, or online at cityofmartinsburg.org (employment section), an application for the position of Firefighter/EMT-Basic. Applications must be completed and returned to the City Recorder’s office no later than 5:00 PM on Thursday, May 3, 2018.
- Undergo and achieve a passing score on a physical agility test. Failure to achieve a passing score will eliminate candidates from proceeding further through the process. Candidate MUST get clearance from physician to participate in physical agility test.
- Undergo and achieve a passing score on a competitive written examination.
- Appear for appropriate oral interviews.
- Undergo a complete medical examination testing the applicant’s general physical condition in a manner prescribed by the Commission.
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. Copy MUST be submitted along with application.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license. Copy MUST be submitted along with application.
- Must obtain certification as an EMT-Basic by the WV Office of Emergency Medical Services within ninety (90) days of employment with the City of Martinsburg Fire Department. Individuals with a current EMT-Paramedic or EMT-Intermediate certification are encouraged to apply.
- Must live within 20 air miles of the Courthouse at the corner of S. Queen Street and W. King Street within 90 days of employment.
Anyone not meeting the above requirements, as set by the Fire Civil Service Commission, will not be placed on the list of eligible candidates.
The starting pay for Firefighter/EMT-Basic is $37,530 plus automatic overtime of $3,184 for a total salary of $40,714. Employees of the City of Martinsburg are offered a range of fringe benefits including; vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, health/life/vision and dental insurance benefits, longevity pay and fire pension plan, all of which the Firefighter is entitled to.
New hires that possess a current EMT-Paramedic through the West Virginia Office of Emergency Services or are certified elsewhere as an EMT-Paramedic and are able to obtain legal recognition as an EMT-Paramedic by the WV Office of Emergency Medical Services within ninety (90) days of first date of employment will receive a $3,000 sign-on bonus, with new hires being required to sign a minimum of two year commitment with the City.
MARTINSBURG FIRE CIVIL SERVICE
The City of Martinsburg is always accepting police and fire applications, which will be placed on the list for notification for the next test. There is no way to determine when that is, as we do not know when we may have turnover or when the current list of eligible candidates might be exhausted.
Please read excerpts to the right of the page from the Civil Service Rules and Regulations for further information on the testing process.
Applications can be emailed, mailed or dropped off in person to the address provided at the top of the application.
Gena Long, City Recorder
304-264-2131 ext. 273