CITY OF MARTINSBURG
The City of Martinsburg Utility Department seeks to fill a Labor Position in the Water and Sewer division.
Candidate will perform a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled routine manual labor tasks. Water: Works with the installation and repair of water mains, services, hydrants and valves. Sewer: Assists with the maintenance and repair of mains and services. Skill in knowledge and operation of various tools and equipment required.
Performs other duties as assigned. Must be able to meet all physical requirements of the position outlined in the job description, including working outdoors in all types of weather and in confined spaces and the ability to lift, perform extreme physical labor over long period of time.
Graduation from high school or GED required. Valid driver’s license and maintenance of valid license is required.
Compensation is $29,074 with excellent benefit package. Application and complete job description available at www.cityofmartinsburg.org or at City Hall-2nd Floor, 232 N. Queen St. Martinsburg, WV 25401. Application must be filed with the HR Director, on or before Friday, February 7, 2020. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. EEO/AA.
Brenda Spaulding, Human Resources Director
304-264-2131 ext. 255
Civil Service (Police and Fire)
FIRE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
NOTICE OF FEBRUARY 22, 2020 TESTING
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION AND
CERTIFIED LIST OF ELIGIBILITY FOR THE
POSITION OF FIREFIGHTER/EMT-BASIC IN
THE MARTINSBURG FIRE DEPARTMENT
Notice is hereby given that the Martinsburg Fire Civil Service Commission is accepting applications to test for the position of Firefighter/EMT-Basic in the Martinsburg Fire Department. The individuals that successfully satisfy all the requirements will remain on a list of eligible candidates for a period of three years in the event an opening does occur.
In order to be placed on the list of eligible candidates, an interested person must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35 at the time of application. (Copy of birth certificate MUST be submitted along with application).
- Secure from the City Recorder’s office, or online at cityofmartinsburg.org (employment section), an application for the position of Firefighter/EMT-Basic. Applications must be completed and returned to the City Recorder’s office no later than 5:00 PM on Friday, February 14, 2020
- Undergo and achieve a passing score on a physical agility test. Failure to achieve a passing score will eliminate candidates from proceeding further through the process. Candidate MUST get clearance from physician to participate in physical agility test. Form is included with application.
- Undergo and achieve a passing score on a competitive written examination—February 24, 2020
- Appear for appropriate oral interviews.
- Undergo a complete medical examination testing the applicant’s general physical condition in a manner prescribed by the Commission.
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. Copy MUST be submitted along with application.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license. Copy MUST be submitted along with application.
- Must obtain certification as an EMT-Basic by the WV Office of Emergency Medical Services within ninety (90) days of employment with the City of Martinsburg Fire Department. Individuals with a current EMT-Paramedic or EMT-Intermediate certification are encouraged to apply.
- Must live within 20 air miles of the Courthouse at the corner of S. Queen Street and W. King Street within 90 days following employment.
Anyone not meeting the above requirements, as set by the Fire Civil Service Commission, will not be placed on the list of eligible candidates.
The starting pay for Firefighter/EMT-Basic is $ 38,286 plus automatic overtime of $3,250 for a total salary of $41,536. Employees of the City of Martinsburg are offered a range of fringe benefits including; vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, health/life/vision and dental insurance benefits, longevity pay and fire pension plan, all of which the Firefighter is entitled to.
New hires that possess a current EMT-Paramedic through the West Virginia Office of Emergency Services or are certified elsewhere as an EMT-Paramedic and are able to obtain legal recognition as an EMT-Paramedic by the WV Office of Emergency Medical Services within ninety (90) days of first date of employment will receive a $3,000 sign-on bonus, with new hires being required to sign a minimum of two year commitment with the City.
MARTINSBURG FIRE CIVIL SERVICE
The City of Martinsburg is always accepting police and fire applications, which will be placed on the list for notification for the next test. There is no way to determine when that is, as we do not know when we may have turnover or when the current list of eligible candidates might be exhausted.
Please read excerpts to the right of the page from the Civil Service Rules and Regulations for further information on the testing process.
Applications can be emailed, mailed or dropped off in person to the address provided at the top of the application.
Gena Long, City Recorder
304-264-2131 ext. 273