City of Martinsburg, West Virginia
Human Resources Director
The City of Martinsburg, WV has an immediate opening for a Human Resources Director. This is an exciting opportunity resulting from the retirement of a long-term and effective Human Resources Director in October 2021. The selected individual will lead a team of approximately 200 dedicated, professional employees and 60 retirees who are committed to providing exceptional services to the citizens of Martinsburg and join a high-functioning, collaborative leadership team that is led by a long-term and supportive City Manager within a growing City in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Statistical Area. The individual selected for this position will have the ability to build and grow the Human Resources Department as this newly formed Department is being separated from the Finance Department.
Salary is dependent upon qualifications and experience with an excellent benefit package. See our full recruitment brochure at http://cityofmartinsburg.org/employment/. Application, available online at www.cityofmartinsburg.org, along with a cover letter must be filed with the Human Resource Director, 232 N. Queen St. Martinsburg, WV 25401, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled, but first application and resume review will be on Monday, May 24, 2021. EEO/AA. Women and minorities encouraged to apply.
City of Martinsburg
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator I, II, III
The City of Martinsburg has an opening for a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator I (minimum wage $37,359) Operator II (minimum wage $38,667) and/or Operator III (minimum wage $41,421). Wage offer will be dependent on required certification level. Class III Plant Operator certification preferred but all qualified applications accepted.
Two (2) years of experience (Operator I) or three (3) years of experience (Operator II and Operator III) in a wastewater utility, or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Must possess and maintain the appropriate West Virginia Health Department Certifications and a valid driver license. Position monitors all wastewater plant equipment, collects samples and analyzes in accordance with local, state and Federal requirements. Gathers and tests wastewater samples for plant efficiency reports and records data. Operates, cleans and maintains all wastewater plant equipment. Assists in sample collection, operates sludge press. Performs related duties as assigned.
Applicants must be able to meet all physical requirements of this position.
The City of Martinsburg offers an excellent benefit package.
Application is available online at www.cityofmartinsburg.org. or at City Hall, 232 N. Queen St., Martinsburg, WV 25401. Application must be filed with the Human Resource Director, 232 N. Queen St., Martinsburg, WV 25401 on or before Friday, June 25, 2021. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. EEO/AA.
Brenda Spaulding, Human Resources Director
304-264-2131 ext. 255
Civil Service (Police and Fire)
Police Civil Service Commission
Notice of July 31, 2021 Testing
Competitive Examination and Certified List of Eligibility
to Probationary Police
Officer in the Martinsburg Police Department
Notice is hereby given pursuant to the West Virginia Code 8-14-13, that position(s) for the rank of Probationary Police Officer exist in the Martinsburg Police Department and will be filled by appointment by the City Manager from a list of eligibles certified by the Martinsburg Police Civil Service Commission.
In order to be placed on the list of eligibles, an interested party must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 40 at the time of application.
- Secure, from the City Recorder’s office or online at cityofmartinsburg.org, an application for employment for the position of probationary Police Officer. The correct Application MUST be completed, verified and returned to the City Recorder no later than 5 PM on Friday, July 23, 2021. Applicants must undergo and achieve a passing score on a competitive written exam, on Saturday, July 31 at 8 AM.
- On the date of exam, successful applicants will achieve a passing score on a physical agility screening test for WV state and local law enforcement officers. Certification of a physician will be required prior to participating in any physical testing and must be presented on the day of the exam.
- Undergo a complete medical examination testing the applicant’s general physical condition in a manner prescribed by the Commission.
- Undergo a complete psychiatric examination testing the applicant’s mental stability for appointment in a manner prescribed by the Commission.
- Submit to and cooperate with authorities in a background investigation as to the applicant’s suitability for the position.
- Appear for scheduled oral interviews.
- Submit to any additional examinations as to the applicant’s suitability for the position in a manner prescribed by the Commission.
Probationary Police Officer is paygrade 19, beginning at $45,924. Employees of the City of Martinsburg are provided a range of fringe benefits including vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, health/life/dental and vision insurance, longevity pay, police pension and modified take home vehicle policy.
Applicants with a current WV Law Enforcement Certification will receive a $3,000.00 sign on bonus, if hired.
West Virginia residency is NOT required, however, officers must live within 25 air miles of the Town Square within 90 days of employment.
The City of Martinsburg reserves the right to amend date and/or location to remain in compliance with any COVID-19 guidelines in effect at the time of testing.
Anyone not meeting the above requirements, as set by the Commission, will NOT be placed on the list of eligibles. The City of Martinsburg is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Martinsburg Police Civil Service Commission.
The City of Martinsburg is always accepting police and fire applications, which will be placed on the list for notification for the next test. There is no way to determine when that is, as we do not know when we may have turnover or when the current list of eligible candidates might be exhausted.
Please read excerpts to the right of the page from the Civil Service Rules and Regulations for further information on the testing process.
Applications can be emailed, mailed or dropped off in person to the address provided at the top of the application.
Gena Long, City Recorder
304-264-2131 ext. 273