The City of Martinsburg is accepting applications for the position of Full Time Police Dispatcher II. Shift of 4PM-Midnight will apply-no day shift available. High school diploma or GED equivalent with specialized course work in general office practices and two (2) years of increasingly responsible related experience, or any equivalent combination of related education and experience.
The successful applicant will monitor telephones and radio in the dispatch center, answer all incoming calls and ascertain the nature of the call, dispatch police vehicles for emergency responses, maintain a log on radio and telephone communications, input data into the computer system, and other related duties as required. The successful applicant must be able to deal with the public and staff of the Police Department in a calm, rational and reasonable manner in often stressful situations. Must have teletype certification or be able to obtain teletype certification timely.
Starting wage of $32,235 with an excellent benefit package. Applications should be filed with the HR Director, 232 N. Queen St., Martinsburg, WV 25401 or online at www.cityofmartinsburg.org no later than Friday, August 23, 2019. EEO/AA. Women and minorities encouraged to apply.
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR I-WATER AND EQUIPMENT OPERATOR II-SEWER
The City of Martinsburg Utility Department has an immediate opening for a full time
Equipment Operator I-Water and Equipment Operator II-Sewer.
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent required. Candidate will perform a variety of skilled work in the operation of motorized small and medium sized heavy-duty equipment, light weight trucks and various construction and maintenance equipment. Experience in use of hand tools is also required. Other duties include, but are not limited to routine manual labor tasks assisting work crews, maintenance crews and operators with various duties in repair, installation and maintenance of water and sewer lines and maintenance of equipment. Only qualified candidates with demonstrated work history as listed above will be considered.
Must be able to meet all physical requirements of position, including frequently lifting and/or moving up to 50 pounds and occasionally lifting and/or moving more than 100 pounds. Extreme physical effort over long periods of time is required of the position. Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions and in confined spaces. Performs other duties as assigned.
A valid driver’s license is required for the position with maintenance of the license and insurability mandatory to remain in this position.
Equipment Operator I-Water $30,092
Equipment Operator II-Sewer $33,363
Excellent benefit package. Applications and complete job descriptions available at www.cityofmartinsburg.org or at City Hall-2nd Floor, 232 N. Queen St. Martinsburg, WV 25401. Application must be filed with the HR Director, on or before Friday, August 23, 2019. EEO/AA. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Brenda Spaulding, Human Resources Director
304-264-2131 ext. 255
Civil Service (Police and Fire)
FIRE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
NOTICE OF September 7, 2019 TESTING
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION AND
CERTIFIED LIST OF ELIGIBILITY FOR THE
POSITION OF FIREFIGHTER/EMT-BASIC IN
THE MARTINSBURG FIRE DEPARTMENT
Notice is hereby given that the Martinsburg Fire Civil Service Commission is accepting applications to test for the position of Firefighter/EMT-Basic in the Martinsburg Fire Department. The individuals that successfully satisfy all the requirements will remain on a list of eligible candidates for a period of three years in the event an opening does occur.
In order to be placed on the list of eligible candidates, an interested person must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35 at the time of application. (Copy of birth certificate MUST be submitted along with application).
- Secure from the City Recorder’s office, or online at cityofmartinsburg.org (employment section), an application for the position of Firefighter/EMT-Basic. Applications must be completed and returned to the City Recorder’s office no later than 5:00 PM on Wednesday, September 4, 2019.
- Undergo and achieve a passing score on a physical agility test. Failure to achieve a passing score will eliminate candidates from proceeding further through the process. Candidate MUST get clearance from physician to participate in physical agility test. Note test date of September 7, 2019.
- Undergo and achieve a passing score on a competitive written examination—September 9, 2019.
- Appear for appropriate oral interviews.
- Undergo a complete medical examination testing the applicant’s general physical condition in a manner prescribed by the Commission.
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. Copy MUST be submitted along with application.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license. Copy MUST be submitted along with application.
- Must obtain certification as an EMT-Basic by the WV Office of Emergency Medical Services within ninety (90) days of employment with the City of Martinsburg Fire Department. Individuals with a current EMT-Paramedic or EMT-Intermediate certification are encouraged to apply.
- Must live within 20 air miles of the Courthouse at the corner of S. Queen Street and W. King Street within 90 days following employment.
Anyone not meeting the above requirements, as set by the Fire Civil Service Commission, will not be placed on the list of eligible candidates.
The starting pay for Firefighter/EMT-Basic is $ 38,286 plus automatic overtime of $3,250 for a total salary of $41,536. Employees of the City of Martinsburg are offered a range of fringe benefits including; vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, health/life/vision and dental insurance benefits, longevity pay and fire pension plan, all of which the Firefighter is entitled to.
New hires that possess a current EMT-Paramedic through the West Virginia Office of Emergency Services or are certified elsewhere as an EMT-Paramedic and are able to obtain legal recognition as an EMT-Paramedic by the WV Office of Emergency Medical Services within ninety (90) days of first date of employment will receive a $3,000 sign-on bonus, with new hires being required to sign a minimum of two year commitment with the City.
MARTINSBURG FIRE CIVIL SERVICE
***The testing company provides a study guide for entry level firefighter exams. This guide is optional and may be purchased, at your own expense, here.
The City of Martinsburg is always accepting police and fire applications, which will be placed on the list for notification for the next test. There is no way to determine when that is, as we do not know when we may have turnover or when the current list of eligible candidates might be exhausted.
Please read excerpts to the right of the page from the Civil Service Rules and Regulations for further information on the testing process.
Applications can be emailed, mailed or dropped off in person to the address provided at the top of the application.
Gena Long, City Recorder
304-264-2131 ext. 273