City of Martinsburg, West Virginia
Human Resources Director
The City of Martinsburg, WV has an immediate opening for a Human Resources Director. This is an exciting opportunity resulting from the retirement of a long-term and effective Human Resources Director in October 2021. The selected individual will lead a team of approximately 200 dedicated, professional employees and 60 retirees who are committed to providing exceptional services to the citizens of Martinsburg and join a high-functioning, collaborative leadership team that is led by a long-term and supportive City Manager within a growing City in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Statistical Area. The individual selected for this position will have the ability to build and grow the Human Resources Department as this newly formed Department is being separated from the Finance Department.
Salary is dependent upon qualifications and experience with an excellent benefit package. See our full recruitment brochure at http://cityofmartinsburg.org/employment/. Application, available online at www.cityofmartinsburg.org, along with a cover letter must be filed with the Human Resource Director, 232 N. Queen St. Martinsburg, WV 25401, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled, but first application and resume review will be on Monday, May 24, 2021. EEO/AA. Women and minorities encouraged to apply.
CITY OF MARTINSBURG
FULL-TIME PUBLIC WORKS-LABORER
TWO (2) POSITIONS
The City of Martinsburg has immediate openings for two (2) full-time Public Works- Laborers.
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent required for position. Duties include performing manual labor tasks for various street and sanitation operations. Duties will include, but not be limited to, assisting with waste, recyclable and miscellaneous collections, performing traffic control in City crew work areas, cleaning and maintaining City vehicles.
Position assists mechanics with shop duties, and assists in City construction projects including digging drainage ditches, culvert maintenance, concrete work and repair of streets and roads. Cuts grass, trims and maintains trees, and assists in landscaping duties and brush removal. Loads and unloads heavy material from trucks and vans.
Candidate must be able to meet all physical requirements of the job including the ability to work outside, regularly lift and/or move up to 100 pounds and regularly perform physical labor. Valid driver’s license required for position. Wage is $30,092 with excellent benefit package. Application available at www.cityofmartinsburg.org, must be filed with the Human Resource Director, 232 N. Queen St. Martinsburg, WV 25401, on or before Friday, May 28, 2021. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. EEO/AA
CITY OF MARTINSBURG
TEMPORARY SEASONAL PART TIME LABORERS
FOUR (4) POSITIONS
The City of Martinsburg is accepting applications for four (4) positions as Temporary Seasonal Part Time Laborers-Public Works. This temporary seasonal employment, typically working 40 hours per week, will be for a period not to exceed ninety (90) days. Pay rate is $13.00 per hour with no benefits. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age with a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
Full details and job description are available online at the web address below.
Applications should be filed with the HR Director, 232 N. Queen St., Martinsburg, WV 25401 or online at www.cityofmartinsburg.org no later than Friday, May 28, 2021. EEO/AA. Women and minorities encouraged to apply.
Brenda Spaulding, Human Resources Director
304-264-2131 ext. 255
Civil Service (Police and Fire)
FIRE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
NOTICE OF TESTING
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION AND
CERTIFIED LIST OF ELIGIBILITY FOR THE
POSITION OF FIREFIGHTER/EMT-BASIC IN
THE MARTINSBURG FIRE DEPARTMENT
Notice is hereby given that the Martinsburg Fire Civil Service Commission is accepting applications to test for the position of Firefighter/EMT-Basic in the Martinsburg Fire Department. The individuals that successfully satisfy all the requirements will remain on a list of eligible candidates for a period of three years in the event an opening does occur.
In order to be placed on the list of eligible candidates, an interested person must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35 at the time of application. (Copy of birth certificate MUST be submitted along with application).
- Secure from the City Recorder’s office, or online at cityofmartinsburg.org (employment section), an application for the position of Firefighter/EMT-Basic. Applications must be completed and returned to the City Recorder’s office no later than 5:00 PM on Friday, June 4, 2021.
- Undergo and achieve a passing score on a physical agility test on Saturday, June 12, 2021. Failure to achieve a passing score will eliminate candidates from proceeding further through the process. Candidate MUST get clearance from physician to participate in physical agility test. Form is included with application.
- Undergo and achieve a passing score on a competitive written examination on Friday, June 11, 2021.
- Appear for appropriate oral interviews.
- Undergo a complete medical examination testing the applicant’s general physical condition in a manner prescribed by the Commission.
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. Copy MUST be submitted along with application.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license. Copy MUST be submitted along with application.
- Must obtain certification as an EMT-Basic by the WV Office of Emergency Medical Services within ninety (90) days of employment with the City of Martinsburg Fire Department. Individuals with a current EMT-Paramedic or EMT-Intermediate certification are encouraged to apply.
- Must live within 50 air miles of the Courthouse at the corner of S. Queen Street and W. King Street within 90 days following employment.
Anyone not meeting the above requirements, as set by the Fire Civil Service Commission, will not be placed on the list of eligible candidates.
The starting pay for Firefighter/EMT-Basic is $ 41,013 plus automatic overtime of $3,482 for a total salary of $44,495. Employees of the City of Martinsburg are offered a range of fringe benefits including; vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, health/life/vision and dental insurance benefits, longevity pay and fire pension plan, all of which the Firefighter is entitled to.
The City of Martinsburg reserves the right to amend date and/or location to remain in compliance with any COVID-19 guidelines in effect at the time of testing.
New hires that possess a current EMT-Paramedic through the West Virginia Office of Emergency Services or are certified elsewhere as an EMT-Paramedic and are able to obtain legal recognition as an EMT-Paramedic by the WV Office of Emergency Medical Services within ninety (90) days of first date of employment will receive a $3,000 sign-on bonus, with new hires being required to sign a minimum of two-year commitment with the City.
MARTINSBURG FIRE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION EEO/AA. Women and Minorities encouraged to apply.
The City of Martinsburg is always accepting police and fire applications, which will be placed on the list for notification for the next test. There is no way to determine when that is, as we do not know when we may have turnover or when the current list of eligible candidates might be exhausted.
Please read excerpts to the right of the page from the Civil Service Rules and Regulations for further information on the testing process.
Applications can be emailed, mailed or dropped off in person to the address provided at the top of the application.
Gena Long, City Recorder
304-264-2131 ext. 273