Downtown Parking Meters
The purpose of parking meter fees is to cover the costs of the supervision, inspection, installation, operation, maintenance, control and use of the parking meter spaces and the regulation of the parking of vehicles in the parking meter zones.
Metered hours are Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The following penalties are imposed on parking meter violations:
Expired Meter and/or Permit Violation - $5.00 if paid within 7 calendar days; $25.00 if paid after 7 calendar days and before 30 calendar days. Violations paid after 30 calendar days are $50.00
To pay a parking ticket you will need the actual ticket or the license plate number of the ticketed vehicle
Parking tickets may be paid at the following locations:
- Cashiers area on the second floor of City Hall, 232 N. Queen St.
- Drop boxes located in the following areas:
- Race Street beside of City Hall
- Inside the front door of City Hall
- Both corners of the 100 block of S. Queen St.
- By mail: City of Martinsburg 232 N. Queen St. P.O. Box 828 Martinsburg, WV 25402
Permits for parking meters are issued to persons residing where metered on-street parking is in effect at the rate of six dollars ($6.00) per month. Parking meter permits issued to all other persons is at the rate of twenty dollars ($20.00) per month. Permit parking is for use on green top meters only.
Permit parking meters are available at the following locations:
- 200 South Queen Street
- 300 South Queen Street
- 100 West John Street
- 200 West John Street
- 200 East Martin Street
- 200 West Race Street
- 200 West Burke Street
- 100 North College Street
- 200 North College Street
- 200 South College Street
- 300 South College Street
- 400 West King Street (North Side Only)
- 200 East King Street
- East Martin Street Parking Lot
- West Burke Street Parking Lot
- East Burke Street Parking Lot
Permit parking is also available at the Caperton Train Station. Permits sold for that parking lot cannot be used at green top permit parking meters (the Train Station permits are exclusive to the Caperton Train Station).
The City provides one designated parking space for disabled persons within each City block on Queen Street between Race Street and King Street and on King Street between Spring Street and Maple Avenue.
ADA Accessible Parking is NOT FREE PARKING. If there is a meter, it is expected that a coin be deposited, or a ticket will be issued on all vehicles, including those displaying placard.
The fine for parking in an ADA Accessible Parking area without a valid placard will be no less than $50.00.
Caperton Train Station Parking
Caperton Train Station, and adjacent parking lot, is owned by the city of Martinsburg. Commuter parking for the Caperton Train Station lot is available on a monthly basis. Permits are $20.00 per month, and are exclusively for use at the Caperton Train Station lot.
Permit forms can be found in the train station on the ledge of the former ticket window, or applicants may mail a note advising of which month(s) a permit is needed and the correct payment. Please keep in mind, if no spaces are available, you will be issued a permit for use at green top meters, unless you request otherwise on your application or in your correspondence.
Taking a day trip?
Please telephone 1-800-USA-RAIL to access information specifically regarding the train, such as ticket prices, schedules and onboard policies.
The City of Martinsburg offers short-term parking permits for the Caperton Train Station Parking lot. These permits are offered at $1.00 per weekday, excluding those holidays in which City of Martinsburg offices are closed.
To obtain a permit:
- In-person: City Hall, 232 N. Queen Street between 8 AM and 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Mail: fill out and send an Application for a Parking Permit detailing what days the permit is to be for and a check or money order for the appropriate amount to City of Martinsburg, 232 N. Queen Street, Martinsburg WV 25401. Please be sure to include a valid return address to ensure a prompt return of the permit. Please allow 10 days for us to receive and process your application.
How to calculate your payment due:
When calculating the permit fees, exclude weekends, holidays in which the City of Martinsburg offices are closed and after hour arrivals. For example, if you park on Friday at 5:00 PM and return to your car on Tuesday morning, you will be responsible for paying permit fees for Monday and Tuesday only.
If you have further questions, please feel free to contact the Parking Department at 304-264-2131 ext. 253.